Tuesday 21 July 2020

Lamellar Ichthyosis and work life balance.

After completing my PG in English and Environmental Management from Central University , I was scared to even think about going to work. The thought of 9am to 5pm job terrified me, as long hours without access to washrooms or water was my biggest fear.  My Mom was very persistent and insisted that I should  work and be independent . I went for many interviews , the moment they saw me , my appearance used to make them cringe; that is what some of them told me. I must have attended 50 interviews that year. Some told me , how could anyone ever hire you?

My first job , Pagepoint Services ( Motorola JV) , I was interviewed by Krishna Kumar Subramaniam ( CGM) . He asked me few questions , then he said that I need not worry, and that place was a family. I thank KK, Nimmi , Amit Reshamwala,  Subramaniyam ( Subbu) , Sunita Tejwani, Minoti Behara, Shireena, Sujitha Reddy, Srinivas Chada, Dona Kumar  , Anil Kumar , Alexy Ninan, Ajay Alex, NC Vijay , Alwal Reddy , Vivek Chopra . These are the wonderful people who accepted  and helped me sail through and earn laurels  as the best Tele-marketer many times.

I joined GECIS , GE Appliances in 2001 at Hyderabad. I  went for training to Gurgaon for few months . I had a challenging time learning . The different shifts and long hours took a toll on my skin , eyes , hearing . The fingers and joints used to ache throughout . My scalp went dry layered up with thick scales. I wouldn't share with anyone , what I was going through .  My trainer , Rahul Katariya was a strong support system . He was very patient with me, learning with my limitations and challenges. Thank you Rahul .

The teams I worked with in GECIS / Genpact with different processes , I learnt many things in the real corporate world . I became more strong , confident  and of course hid my flaws and insecurities . I had amazing friends at workplace . We still are best friends .

I was moved to another  joint venture with  NIIT, Uniqua as a training consultant . Cherian Thomas, Meghdoot Dadegaonkar , Harjinder Singh Sidhu, Kirti Seth .I won many awards,  won the much coveted award "Award of Excellance " 2010  at NIIT , Hyderabad .

My life started falling apart  after a new person , who never worked in any organization earlier  stepped in as Manager with NIPE. He was very different , harsh and foul  I ever encountered at workplace. He used to constantly humiliate me , for my appearance , skin . He used to pass snide and derogatory remarks . He was upfront in telling , that how could anyone even employ such a terrible one ? 

I told him that I have many health issues and I work in a manner that does not hurt me or leave me in pain. He used to scream and shout at me . He never knew how to talk to a lady ?  He used to blatantly say , that only good looking people will get work.  

Suja Ajith and Itish Arora , changed the NIPE team structure. I thank them for making my last few months  memorable, I resigned in peace.

Even though a training consultant , I was the New Hire Program head for Genpact Hyderabad. But, I never felt an outsider at all. Genpact values certainly speaks for itself.   I Thank Shubhra Chaturvedi  ( New Hire Orientation Head for Genpact ) , who supported me in every way.


















No comments:

Post a Comment